I recently got interviewed by SellerDojo and I wanted to let you guys listen in on the (49mins) episode.
SellerDojo are the guys behind AMZshark and they have just started this podcast. I was honoured to be the first one they interview for their podcast. Here is the link to the podcast directly:
If you don’t have time to listen all the way through, just browse the show outline below to find which spot to listen.
Begin Show Notes: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In this episode the SellerDojo meets ImportDojo and we have a party talking about ninja tips for sourcing from China. Manuel, the ImportDojo Sensei, has been living and working in China for over 10 years, with 17 years in the sourcing business. He has his own brand, sells to retailers, is a supplier, and does FBA on Amazon. Enjoy this episode as we talk about everything from Alibaba tricks, demystifying electronics, and the Canton Fair.
Opening & Manuel Introduction, his history in working with suppliers for Austria’s largest retailers. And his internship in the Hong Kong sourcing office.
- 3:35 – What did you learn and what sparked your interest to get into your own Amazon and sourcing business?
- 4:35 – About Manuel’s brand, Mandarin Gear and also Import Dojo.
- 8:05 – What advice do you wish someone had told you when you first began sourcing from China?
- 10:20 – What types of products do you source? Because I know many people avoid things like electronics or moving parts, but I see that you don’t shy away from them? Why is that?
- 13:25 – Manuals ninja rule of thumb: nothing lower than 30% margin (after fees etc)
- 14:00 – What category would you go into if you were just beginning?
- 14:30 – What sourcing sites do you recommend for importing from China?
- 18:15 – What is Global Sources and how is it different?
- 20:05 – Tips for paying suppliers in China. Small orders and big orders etc. Paypal, trade assurance, and inspections.
- 22:25 – Sourcing certain product categories based on their location and Province in China. How to use Alibaba’s search filters to determine and find the right suppliers in the right location.
- 24:30 – The 3 reasons it’s important to find a supplier in the correct Province.
- 25:45 – What are the biggest mistakes you’ve ever made in sourcing and selling?
- 27:30 – How should buyers navigate the many parts of the long negotiation? What about large sample fees? Or transaction fees?
- 28:45 – How to get a refund / reimbursement on sample costs from your supplier.
- 29:15 – Why there are sometimes large transaction fees, especially with PayPal.
- 30:30 – How to ask your supplier to refund sample fees once you place a larger order.
- 31:20 – When first vetting suppliers, what essential questions do you ask every time? And which ones are deal breakers?
- 33:45 – Once you’re happy with your samples, then let’s talk about customs, freight forwarding, how to get your inventory, do you send to yourself, or to FBA? What’s the process?
- 35:00 – Manuel’s rule of thumb for calculating landing price to FBA warehouse. Tips for shipping directly to FBA.
- 37:30 – Pretend you are starting over tomorrow. What niches do you think look most promising? What do you wish you were in now?
- 38:50 – The niche Manuel thinks is really promising in the future.
- 40:45 – All about China’s giant expos, Canton fair, and other niche fairs in order to find trends and new products.
- 43:20 – What’s an interesting trend that you’ve noticed from within the supplier industry in China that most people outside don’t know about?
- 46:40 – What’s one weird lifestyle habit / skill you’ve gained which you think helps you as an entrepreneur?
Hope you enjoy this podcast and would love to hear your feedback in the comment section below.
Please share on social media if you have the chance 🙂
All the best and happy sourcing,