In this issue of the Amazon FBA deep-dive, we are analyzing BRISON, a niche FBA brand in the footwear space.
This brand has a dominant Amazon presence with thousands of reviews and a top-selling listing. However, it has shown significant signs of neglect in recent months.
The estimated monthly revenue for this brand is $33,609/month. We anticipate it can be increased by 35% through the easy wins below.
This is what we cover in this deep dive:
- Business Summary
- 3 Easy Wins to increase revenue
- What is the exit valuation of this brand?
- Actionable takeaways
Let’s get into it!
BRISON Brand Overview
The first listing for Brison went live on Amazon in March 2014 and they have quickly grown their Amazon listings to thousands of reviews per listing.
The brand is doing $33,609 in revenue on Amazon across their entire product catalog. The top listing accounts for nearly 80% of their revenue indicating significant concentration.
- Thousands of reviews per listing creates barrier for competitors
- Lightweight and easy to ship products
- Issues with product quality – average rating is below 4.0 which impacts conversion rate
- Significant revenue concentration – if something happens to the core listing, revenue will drop by 80%
3 Easy Ways to Grow BRISON by 35%
There are opportunities to significantly grow and differentiate this brand. We break down the following wins:
- Improve recent reviews to increase conversion rate
- Revamp images and improve grammar throughout listing
- Increase cross selling of similar products and introduce a bundle
Let’s get into it!
➡️ Win #1: Improve Recent Reviews
Currently, the core listing has a 3.6 star rating with over 7,800 reviews. With a review velocity (# of new reviews over a 30 day period) of 78, it will take a significant amount of time to improve the star rating to a 3.7 – 4.0+.
However, when evaluating review structure, customers look at 3 things
- Star Rating (currently 3.5 stars)
- # of reviews (7,818)
- Recent reviews
And the recent reviews are the easiest to change. Amazon has started prioritizing recency when displaying the top reviews at the bottom of the page. 2 out of the 3 reviews are from the last 30 days!
If BRISON can improve their recent reviews and show 5 stars at the bottom of their listing, conversion rate would improve by 10-15%.
Win #2: Revamp images and improve grammar throughout listing
While BRISON has thousands of reviews, there are significant improvements that can be made to their listing images and copy.
The listing images are generic and don’t show the product in real life situations. While this may have sufficed on Amazon in 2014, it just isn’t enough in 2023.
The grammar throughout the listing is poor too with numerous grammatical mistakes and poor copy. I’ve outlined some of them in the image below but as I scanned the listing, I saw 10+ errors.
3. Cross sell the other product and consider making a physical product bundle
BRISON’s top 2 products are both metatarsal pads aimed primarily at women. When the products are this similar, creating a virtual bundle is low-hanging fruit that needs to be utilized.
For these specific products, I would also test creating a physical product bundle and launching it as a separate parent ASIN. This would require a 3PL or prep service to put both of these products into 1 package but it could increase overall sales.
How Much is BRISON Worth?
With thousands of reviews and a long history of selling on Amazon, BRISON has significant worth as an Amazon FBA brand. However, one factor impacting the valuation are the product quality issues.
Any enterprising buyer of the brand may have to invest significant resources to improve the product quality to increase the review rating.
BRISON is estimated to be doing $33,609/month which equates to $403,308 per year in revenue. Given the niche and products, I’ll assume a net margin of 25%. That gives you an annual profit of $100,827
2 Actionable Takeaways
Here are actionable takeaways that you can apply to your business today:
- Look through your recent reviews of your top products. Are there any points of concern? Make sure the top 3-5 reviews that people see are positive and ideally 4-5 stars.
- When was the last time you updated your listing? Read through the listing copy and look at the images. Would somebody new to your brand, buy your product? Invest in high quality listing images/copy once to reap the dividends for years to come.